Thursday, October 31, 2013

Narciso Espiritu - Halloween Memory


My favorite Halloween Memory takes place in 2008. Wait.

It's important to note that I've been attracted to caution tape my whole life. How could you not be? Since I was around 10 or 11 years-old, I loved testing boundaries set by the fleeting existence of yellow vinyl tape. It's not even that I didn't know what was behind them. It was either wet cement, a construction site, a crime scene-- whatever. It was just a thrill, I guess. Maybe I have a problem with authority.

So, then, on Halloween 2008, I decided to dress up my younger brother, four years younger than me, as this caution-tape-clad vigilante. I took picture of him flailing around in the costume throughout the night, and after reviewing the pictures that evening, something clicked. This thing that was kind of lingering in my mind, this "Caution Tape Crusader," was realized right in front of me.

I've been off and on, but I am creating a comic, "Tales of Caution," around this character, who I just call "Caution" these days. I wasn't able to add color to these in time, but I will probably in the near future. The first image is how my brother dressed that night in 2008, and how the character first looked. The second image is a drawing I did of the character in his current form. I've been putting more time into it this year and, I can tell it's going to be a lot of fun. (There's a few illos of the characters on my website, if you're interested in how they look in color!)

Happy Hallows!


No comments:

Post a Comment